The Custom Code feature is a powerful tool which enables creators to run their own scripts based on user interaction with their content.
EX.CO experiences are made up of lots of different actions or touch-points, all of which can be monitored or used to trigger your own script when they are embedded on your website.
This functionality can be used for:
- Social media tracking pixels (Create hyper-specific audience segments from the way your readers interact with content like personality quizzes and polls).
- Trigger pop-ups or calls-to-action.
- Deliver prizes or discount codes to users who have answered a question correctly.
How to set-up a Custom Code:
1) Edit/Open your EX.CO experience and click on 'Integrate' in the top menu.
2) Select Custom Code and then Add Integration.
3) Add a Name for your Custom Code, which can be anything you like:
4) Select the relevant components from your experience that you want to trigger your custom script:
You can choose between General item events (Actions such as item loads, engagement, or closed experiences), or from events that are specific to the content you've created, like a question or answer, as illustrated here:
5) Paste your custom code using HTML. If you try to enter plain text or anything else, this will prompt an error message:
6) This is an optional step. You are able to select URLs which you do or don't want to trigger the code:
7) You can now add further codes, or click Finish to activate:
Here's an example of a Custom Code we've connected to Facebook:
Here's the EX.CO experience question we'd like to trigger:
This is what we've called the Custom Code:
Here we select the correct trigger question from the experience:
And, add the custom code we want to activate:
Here's what the result will look like in Facebook's dashboard: